As we’re going through the hour of prayer, we’re continuing to look at praying using Scripture.
- Praise: Can we pray one hour?
- Praise: Growing our praise time
- Praise: Praising God for Creation
- Praise: Praising God our Father
- Praise: Praising God our King
- Waiting: Waiting on the Lord
- Waiting: Waiting on His Timing
- Waiting: Waiting on His Will
- Waiting: Waiting on His Peace
- Waiting: Waiting on His Authority
- Confession: Returning to Effective Prayer
- Confession: Confession brings Mercy
- Confession: Self-Interrogation
- Confession: Sins against Others
- Confession: Psalm 51
- Scripture: Praying Scripture Prayers
- Scripture: Why & How
- Scripture: Claiming Authority
- Scripture: Praying Scripture Promises
- Scripture: Praying like David
- Watching: Jesus calls us to watch
- Watching: Robert Murray M’Cheyne
- Watching: Watching for Wisdom
- Watching: The Watch of the LORD
- Watching: The Watchman on the Wall
- Intercession: Praying for Government Officials
- Intercession: Praying for Others
- Intercession: Brethren, Pray for us
- Intercession: Praying for Enemies
Today let’s look at the promises we can claim in our prayers.
Are you interceding for someone? Ask God to help you ask, and that He would line up your desires with His!
Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.James 4:2-3
We can have if we ask – but the motive for asking must be aligned to His desires.
Some people may use Matthew 18:19-20, but in context that’s talking about church discipline.
A better passage is Luke 11:9-10:
And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.Luke 11:9-10
How’s this for a closing thought – our Father wants to give us gifts!
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?Luke 11:13